- 650 grams (1 1⁄2 pounds) spaghetti
- 450 grams (1 pound) tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Dip the tomatoes into boiling water for about ten seconds and place in a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Remove from the ice water, and dry. Peel them, remove the seeds and cut them in slices. In a saucepan, brown the minced onion in the olive oil, then add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about ten minutes.
- 2. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in plenty of salted water, drain and add it to the sauce. Garnish with basil leaves and sprinkle with the cheese before serving.
Makes 4 servings