- 450 grams (1 pound) linguine or tagliatelle
- 230 grams (1 cup) grated, fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3–4 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- Nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the pasta to salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain but reserve one cup of the pasta water.
- Return the empty pasta pot to the stove and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add half of the pasta water and let it reduce for a couple of minutes. Add the drained pasta to the pot with the butter and toss. Add some of the reserved pasta water if you need a little more moisture. Add the grated Parmesan and toss well. Sprinkle nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and toss again.
- Serve the pasta in individual bowls.
Variation with Sage—follow the recipe above, adding this to step 2:
While the butter is melting, add a cup of loosely packed, chopped fresh sage leaves and sauté until the sage shrivels. Proceed as above.
Makes 4 servings