- 250 grams (1∕2 pound) tri-color rotini
- 2 tablespoons small almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tomatoes, ripe but firm
- 225 grams (1∕2 pound) Mozzarella cheese
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Basil leaves for decoration
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Toast the almonds in the oven on a baking tray for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Boil salted water in a large stock pot and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the rotini and cook al dente. Drain the water and rinse the rotini with cold water. Drain again and let it cool.
- Slice the tomatoes and cheese. Peel and slice the avocado, adding drops of lemon juice to avoid oxidation (turning black).
- To make the dressing, whisk the oil, vinegar, and mustard. Season with salt.
- Alternate slices of tomato, cheese, and avocado around the outside of a platter.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the pasta and add the chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the pasta in the center of the platter and drizzle on the rest of the dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds, decorate with basil leaves and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings